As SUVs dominate the automotive industry, passenger cars continue to see their market share drop steadily. Sales of passenger cars in Canada were down eight per cent year-over-year in the first three quarters of 2018.
Of the 37 auto brands that still sell passenger cars, only 11 experienced sales growth in the segment, and many of those were niche brands like Alfa Romeo, Bentley and Rolls-Royce. The only automakers that sold more than 1,000 passenger cars in 2018 and posted positive year-over-year sales growth were Chevrolet, Tesla, Infiniti, Porsche and Genesis.
Luxury cars undoubtedly represent one of the few bright spots in the passenger segment. We’ve featured some of our favourite offers this week on full-size luxury sedans. If you don’t find an offer that suits you, be sure to check out the new Globe Drive Build and Price Tool to see the latest incentives and discounts on any new car, truck or SUV.
2018 Genesis G90 3.3T All-Wheel Drive
Genesis is the first automaker to enable customers to complete the end-to-end car-buying process entirely online, from requesting an initial test drive to delivery to your doorstep, through their Genesis at Home experience. Their unique customer experience also includes transparent, upfront pricing that includes all scheduled maintenance and no negotiating.
The 2018 Genesis G90 boasts a 3.3-litre twin-turbo V-6 engine with gasoline direct injection, which outputs 365 horsepower and 376 lb.-ft. of torque. There is also a 5.0-litre V-6 variant available that generates an additional 55 horses. The interior of the 3.3T trim features a 900-watt, 17-speaker Lexicon surround-sound system, a 12.3-inch infotainment system with navigation and speed-sensitive volume control, a seven-inch instrument panel display, Nappa-leather seating surfaces and genuine-wood interior trim. Exterior equipment on the 3.3T trim includes adaptive LED headlights, power-folding sideview mirrors with integrated LED turn signals and speed sensitive rain-sensing windshield wipers with dicing capability. This trim also comes standard with an autonomous emergency braking system, active blind spot detection, lane-keeping assist and lane-departure warning.
- Price: $84,000
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $5,000 (as compared to no incentive in August)
- Government fees: $127
- Cash purchase price before tax: $79,127
- Finance for 60 months at 0.9 per cent interest for $1,621 per month including tax and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 5.9 per cent interest for $1,797 per month including tax and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
- Includes complimentary scheduled maintenance and courtesy vehicle service for five years or 100,000 kilometres, and complimentary navigation updates for five years
2018 Lexus GS 350 AWD Sedan
The 2018 Lexus GS 350 generates 311 horsepower and 280 lb.-ft. of torque through a 3.5-litre V-6 engine. Its interior features a 12.3-inch infotainment system with navigation, SiriusXM capability, a 12-speaker Lexus premium audio system, a leather-wrapped and heated multifunction steering wheel, heated and air-conditioned front seats and push-button engine ignition. Its safety features include auto-levelling premium LED headlights, rain-sensing wipers and Lexus’ Safety System+ suite of active safety technology, which includes a precollision system, automatic high beams, dynamic-radar cruise control and lane-departure alert with steering assist.
- MSRP: $63,550
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $6,000 (applied after tax)
- Estimated dealer discount: $2,000
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,215
- Cash purchase price before tax: $58,455
- Finance for 60 months at 1.9 per cent interest for $1,190 per month including tax, which includes a $4,000 manufacturer incentive (applied after tax, as compared to $2,500 in September) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 2.9 per cent interest for $922 per month including tax, which includes a $4,000 manufacturer incentive (applied after tax, as compared to $2,500 in September) and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
2018 BMW 530e xDrive Sedan
Powered by a 2.0-litre turbo engine coupled with a 9.2-kilowatt-hour lithium ion battery, the 2018 BMW 5 Series 530e achieves an output of 248 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft. of torque and a fuel economy as low as 1.9 litres/100 km. It is also capable of being driven purely on electric power for a distance of up to 50 kilometres.
Notable highlights on the 2018 530e include a 10.25-inch infotainment system with BMW gesture control and intelligent voice assistant, a dual-subwoofer high-fidelity sound system, automatic four-zone climate control, dynamic cruise control and BMW’s signature dual-kidney grille with blue slats flanked by LED headlights and LED fog lights. Aside from its hybrid powertrain, the 2018 530e also minimizes fuel consumption with features such as engine start-stop functionality and brake-energy regeneration, which uses the vehicle’s kinetic energy during braking and coasting to recharge the battery.
- MSRP: $67,500
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $6,000
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,000
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $3,215
- Cash purchase price before tax: $63,715
- Finance for 60 months at 1.9 per cent interest for $1,259 per month including tax, which includes a $6,000 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 2.9 per cent interest for $973 per month including tax, which includes a $6,000 manufacturer incentive and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
2018 Cadillac CT6 3.0 Twin Turbo Luxury All Wheel Drive
Depending on the trim, the 2018 Cadillac CT6 is available with one of three engine variants – a 265-horsepower, 2.0-litre turbo; a 335-horsepower, 3.6-litre V-6; and a 404-horsepower, 3.0-litre twin-turbo. The 3.0 Twin Turbo Luxury trim features a 10-inch infotainment system with voice recognition technology, an available 34-speaker Bose Panaray audio system, an auto-heated multifunction steering wheel, LED headlights with automatic high-beam functionality, LED taillights and power-folding sideview mirrors. Key safety features include forward and reverse automatic braking, front pedestrian braking, following distance indicator and surround vision, which provides the driver a bird’s-eye view of the vehicle during low-speed manoeuvring.
- MSRP: $74,350
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $4,000 (as compared to $3,000 in August)
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,884
- Cash purchase price before tax: $71,734
- Finance for 72 months at zero per cent interest for $1,079 per month including tax, which includes a $7,000 manufacturer incentive (as compared to $5,000 in August) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 0.9 per cent interest for $1,030 per month including tax, which includes a $4,000 manufacturer incentive (as compared to $3,000 in August) and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Andrew Tai is CEO of Unhaggle. Follow on Twitter @ahytai.
Manufacturer incentives and pricing calculations are based on Ontario customers and subject to availability of inventory. Dealer discounts shown are estimates for illustrative purposes only, may vary by region and are given at the discretion of individual dealers. Please note that while every effort is made to ensure the information above is accurate at the time of publication, pricing, incentives and discounts are subject to change or discontinuation at any time. Vehicle images may not represent the exact model featured in the pricing provided. Consult your local dealership for details.